Alopecia X: DERMagic Skin Rescue Lotion
This is how we suggest using this product for Black Skin Disease (BSD):
- Start with a clean dog. We recommend using a bar of our organic Skin Rescue Shampoo Bar, which has sulfur florets and neem oil, and is very effective at exfoliating, deep cleansing, and rinses very cleanly. It is also strongly anti-fungal without being harsh, and is the correct pH for dogs. You may use conditioner too, but this is optional.
- We suggest bathing once, then once again in seven days, and thereafter only twice per month. It’s not healthful for dogs to be bathed too often, and especially not during a bout with BSD.
- For the first week, we suggest using the lotion twice daily (once daily thereafter), massaging it deeply into the skin until it absorbs. (More is not better.) Apply lotion to all affected areas, whether black skin or bald. Any remaining hair should be clipped short, but not shaved. Shaving introduces more fungus under the skin and should be avoided entirely, especially in double-coated dogs like Poms. (If surgical shaving is necessary for any reason and for any breed of dog or cat, we recommend applying the lotion to the shaved area daily for a few days afterward to prevent fungal infection and possible permanent hair loss.)
- We strongly recommend keeping the dog dressed in a tee shirt during this process to protect the skin from licking or strong sunlight. There is nothing in the lotion that can harm an animal if ingested, but it only works if it stays on the dog and not on the carpet!
- Please do not use too much lotion. It should be used approximately like hand lotion would be used… not too much, just enough to do the job and to absorb fully into the skin.
- This process takes patience and persistence, but it will work, and initial results should be evident in about 4 weeks. When black skin begins to slough off, do not try to rush it by hard brushing or by trying to peel it. Let it fall off at its own pace, much like a scab. The new skin underneath needs time to heal itself and will push off the black skin when it’s ready to do so. Full recovery can happen in 3 months, sometimes up to 6 months.
Additionally, the Skin Rescue Lotion kills yeast in the feet (symptoms: licking and rust-colored hair between toes), and in the ears (a small amount applied with fingertip and massaged downward into the ear canal daily for a few days).